"No matter how terrified you may be, own your fear and take that leap anyway because whether you land on your feet or on your butt, the journey is well worth it."
-- Laurie Laliberte
"If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough."
-- Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."
-- Anais Nin

Monday, October 31, 2011

Trick or Treat? (free crochet pattern)

I've been thrilled that Halloween fell on a Monday this year. That gave me one extra day to get this pattern to you. I needed it. As it is, I believe this one's going to need a revision. It has not been tested unless you count my prototype. I'd normally go for a beanie style, but this one decided not to work up that way. I kinda' like the bucket shape, so I plan to rework it as a beanie and post that later in the season (which means maybe January). So tell me... How are you all spending your Halloween?

Big Girl Hat #1

Supplies needed:

about 4 oz. (180-190 yds.) worsted weight yarn
size I-9 (5.5 mm) crochet hook for main body
size G-6 (4.0 mm) crochet hook for band
yarn needle or smaller size hook for weaving in ends

All instructions use American terminology and standard abbreviations.

Special Stitches:

front post double crochet (fpdc)--yo, insert hook behind post of stitch (from front to back to front), yo, pull up loop, yo, pull through 2 loops, (2 loops on hook), yo, pull through remaining 2 loops

back post double crochet (bpdc)--yo, insert hook around post of stitch (from back to front to back), yo, pull up loop, yo, pull through 2 loops, (2 loops on hook), yo, pull through remaining 2 loops

Construction note:

The term join, as used in this pattern means join with slip stitch in first stitch of round.
You will notice that I don't not instruct you to join at the end of every round. I found it easier to work the body of the pattern in continuous rounds. This prevents having a visible seam up the back of your hat. If you choose to join at each round, begin the next round with a ch1, even when that round begins with a dc, until you're instructed to ch3 when working the band.

Round 1:  using magic ring method, 12 sc in ring, pull ring tight to close gap (12 sc)

Round 2:  2sc in each st around (24 sc)

Round 3:  sc in each st around (24 sc)

Round 4:  [2sc in next st, sc in next st] around (36 sc)

Round 5:  sc in each sc around (36 sc)

Round 6:  [2sc in next st, sc in next 2 sts] around (48 sc)

Round 7:  sc in each sc around (48 sc)

Round 8:  [2sc in next st, sc in next 3 sts] around (60 sc)

Round 9:  sc in each sc around (60 sc)

Round 10:  [2sc in next st, sc in next 4 sts] around (72 sc)

Round 11:  sc in each sc around (72 sc)

Round 12:  [2sc in next st, sc in next 5 sts] around (84 sc)

Round 13:  sc in each sc around (84 sc)

Round 14:  in back loop only, sc in each sc around (84 sc)

Round 15:  repeat Round 14

Round 16:  in back loop only [sc in next st, dc in next st] (84 sts)

Round 17:  in back loop only [dc in next st, sc in next st] (84 sts)

Round 18:  repeat Round 16

Round 19:  repeat Round 17

Round 20:  repeat Round 16

Round 21:  in back loop only sc in each st around (84 sts)

Round 22-23:  repeat Round 21

Round 24:  sc in each sc around (84 sts)

Rounds 25-29:  repeat Round 24, join at end of Round 29 (84 sts)

switch to smaller hook

Round 30:  ch3, dc in each st around, join (84 sts)

Round 31:  ch2, [fpdc in next st, bpdc in next st], join (84 sts)

Rounds 32-33:  rep Round 31

finish off, weave in ends

I still hope to find time enough to post the matching mittens in time for Christmas gift-giving, but the way my schedule looks right now, that is pretty unlikely. I hope you all enjoy the scarf and hat as much as I enjoyed making them. As always, if you run into any mistakes in the pattern, please email me or leave a comment and I will fix them. And please, don't share the pattern. I prefer you share the link. For further information on that, see the bottom of the page where I've posted "Da Roolz."

Happy Halloween!

[Added 10/27/12]: If you would like to receive a pdf of this, or any of my other hat patterns at no charge, go here.

21 comments:

  1. Soooooo...I can crochet square things. I don't even know what the stitch is called that gives me square things, but I can do that stitch. I have made afghans. I've been working on my latest afghan for almost 5 years.

    I think I'm bored with it.

    I don't know how to read a crochet pattern. It's like Egyptian or something.

    You're making me want to learn, though. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a granny square. LOL

    Reading/ writing a crochet or knitting pattern is just like reading/writing a foreign language. Maybe I'll come out to OK and teach you one of these days.

    Editing is more detailed than editing prose. Maybe that's why I'm such a witch when I edit fiction.
    thanks for stopping by, Court!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how do you determine where the band starts to switch needle sizes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll add it to the instructions. Nice catch, thank you. The band begins with Round 30.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Laurie
    Just wondering, is there a head size, other than saying it's an adult size, for this hat?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to admit that I threw this pattern together so fast, I didn't gauge it at all. It's sized to fit the average adult. I find when making hats I end up working them as hit or miss.

    If I had more time to devote to crochet right now, I'd work it out for you, but that's not a reality at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laurie,
    Thanks, I'll work it out, see what happens and I'll let you know what I come out with.
    Have a nice Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas to you as well. Thank you for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have crocheted for years but I have never heard of the magic ring method. Would you please tell me how to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Magic Ring is a technique most often used in amigurumi. Explaining it in words can be quite complicated. The simpler way is to refer you to Youtube. There are literally hundreds (possibly thousands) of instructional videos for crochet techniques.

    This one is great because after showing you how to do it, she replays the whole thing in slow motion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLuSVyKvoUg

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the free pattern. I used Caron Simply Soft & think my new hat is so cute! I may adorn it with a crochet flower, but it is cute as-is. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE the idea of adding a flower! Now why didn't I think of that?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome pattern! Found you on Pinterest, love the clear directions. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Liz, for taking the time to say hello. When I finally finished this one, I decided I really like the bucket shape of it. I HAVE since worked out a beanie shape that's just as simple.

      Delete
  14. I love this hat; need one in many, many colours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit that it's grown on me. When I first posted it, I was discouraged because I really wanted a more rounded top, not a bucket shape. I LOVE some of the pics crocheters are posting on Ravelry with embellishments and color combos. You all are awesome!

      Thank you so much for taking a moment to say hello.

      Delete
  15. Hi Laurie, I would love Big Girl Hat pattern #1 and pledge to donate two or more hats. As a cancer survivor I understand the importance of these hats. Thank you e mail to jc dot galindo at live dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Christine!

      Thank you for taking part. I will send it to you in a few minutes.

      Also, If you are reading this and wondering what we're talking about, please go here: http://laurielaliberte.blogspot.com/2013/09/how-to-get-free-hat-pattern-volume-2.html If you would like to participate in the program, please leave your comments on that page so they don't get lost in the shuffle.

      Thank You!

      Delete
  16. Replies
    1. You're welcome, Tammy! Thank you for stopping to say hello.

      Delete
  17. This is so pretty. I want to attempt it, but at the moment I am having troubles getting the shape of a bucket hat right. Thanks so much for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete