"No matter how terrified you may be, own your fear and take that leap anyway because whether you land on your feet or on your butt, the journey is well worth it."
-- Laurie Laliberte
"If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough."
-- Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."
-- Anais Nin

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Free Crochet Pattern As Promised...Sort of (drum roll please)

Okay kids, I know in my last post I promised you all a free dish cloth pattern by the "end of the week." Well it just so happens that as of this moment my week now officially begins on Monday. . .just so I don't make a liar out of myself.

You know I love you all and value your opinions immensely, so I feel the need to tell you that your input and work with the Big Girl pattern series has forced me to love this design. You see, when I first created the Big Girl Scrubby, I liked it just fine. I was more interested in its functionality than its looks. Your pictures and praise have made me realise what it can be and you will definitely see more of it. My pledge to you is that any pattern bearing that design will be offered for free here on my blog. Now that's not to say it won't be offered elsewhere for a price, just that you'll always have access to it here at no cost. I figure it's an easy gift to give to you in return for teaching me to love, rather than criticize, my own work. So here's my latest gift to you:

Free Big Girl Dish Cloth/Wash Cloth Crochet Pattern:

All instructions use American terminology and standard abbreviations

Supplies needed:
about 1 oz. or 1/2 ball of worsted weight cotton yarn
size I-9 (5.5 mm) crochet hook
smaller hook or yarn needle for weaving in ends
stitch marker or length of scrap yarn (optional)

ch28

Row 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook, [ch1, sk next ch, sc in next ch] across, turn (27 sts)

Row 2: ch1, sc in 1st sc, [sc in ch1 sp, ch1, sk next sc] across, sc in last 2 sc, turn (27 sts)

Row 3: ch1, sc in 1st sc, [ch1, sk next sc, sc in ch1 sp] across, sc in last sc, turn (27 sts)

Rows 4-7: [repeat Rows 2-3] twice

Row 8: ch1, sc in each sc and ch1 sp across, turn (27 sts)

Row 9: ch1, working in back loops only sc in each st across, turn (27 sts)

Row 10: ch1, working in front loops only sc in each st across, turn (27 sts)

Row 11: repeat Row 9

Row 12: ch1, working in front loops only sc in 1st st, [dc in next st, sc in next st] repeat to end, turn (27 sts)

Row 13: ch1, working in back loops only dc in 1st st, [sc in next st, dc in next st] repeat to end, turn (27 sts)

Rows 14-16: repeat Rows 12-13 ending with a Row 12

Row 17: ch1, working in back loops only sc in each st across, turn (27 sts)

Row 18: ch1, working in front loops only sc in each st across, turn (27 sts)

Rows 19-20: repeat Rows 17-18

Row 21: ch1, sc in 1st st, [ch1, sk next st, sc in next st] repeat to end, turn (27 sts)

Rows 22-27: [repeat Rows 2-3] 3 times, turn

do not finish off

Finishing Round:

ch1, sc in each st of each side working 3sc at each corner, join w/sl st in same st as first sc worked, fo, weave in ends

Guide for optional hanging loop:

Choose where you would like to place the hanging loop. You can place it anywhere you want. Most common placement would be in a corner.
As you work the Finishing Round, stop between 2 stitches, ch10, join w/sl st to last sc worked, sl st in each ch of the ch10, join again w/sl st, continue working sc where you left off.

I would love to see your finished project! Please send me photos so I may post them on my blog http://biggirljewelry.blogspot.com/.

Your feedback is more than welcome. Feel free to email me with photos or any questions regarding this pattern at BigGirlJewelry@yahoo.com.

I have personally tested this pattern extensively, but human error is what it is. If you find a mistake in the please let me know immediately. I will make the correction and post it here.

Happy Crocheting!


18 comments:

  1. Very cute! I'm going to have to make this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Meg! Watch for another one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. niiice! thanks for posting
    8-)




    www.mormonknitter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are most welcome! Look for its cousin toward the end of the month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda Jan 18, 2013 3:49 I love your project but I would like to print them. Is there a reason why I can't .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Linda! I'm guessing it's a Blogger thing. I've checked the host options and there are no controls for me to enable or disable printing.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Bozette. I'm too busy making granola and hugging trees to print stuff these days. (Okay,truth is I didn't want to pay to ship my printer when I moved.)

      Delete
  7. I just made this and it turned out great! Thanks for the pattern. Now for the towel . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for dropping in, Amy!

      I love the towel. When I finally get THAT book together, it will include a surprise, and slightly different versions of the dishcloth and towel that I'm hoping you'll all like.

      Delete
  8. Hello, I am a new follower from http://oursimplelife2015.blogspot.com/
    I am going to do this tonight, Thank you so much. When I am done I will link it back here from my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Renee, for taking a moment to say hello. I've got some crocheting of my own to do tonight.

      Delete
  9. I am finished :) Im linking it back here.
    http://oursimplelife2015.blogspot.com/2014/02/couple-crochet-projects.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks great! I love it when you all share your photos and blog posts.

      Delete
  10. I made this for a friend and it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I really like your patterns and my cousin has asked me to make her a set of the dish towels. Can you tell me the color yarn you used because she wants hers to be the same color.
    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought this was supposed to be a tunisian crochet pattern? That's what I put in my search and this came up. Do you have any good free tunisian patterns for dish clothes?

    ReplyDelete