"No matter how terrified you may be, own your fear and take that leap anyway because whether you land on your feet or on your butt, the journey is well worth it."
-- Laurie Laliberte
"If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough."
-- Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."
-- Anais Nin

Sunday, July 8, 2012

It's All in How You Phrase It

I have been writing a lot lately. A LOT. To most people that means fiction. To me that means quite a bit more. This is why, when asked, I'm more likely to refer to myself as a writer rather than an author. I realize it's a fine distinction, but there's a difference. Truth be told, I'm both.

Most people call anyone who writes, not just writes for a living, but anyone who writes, a "writer." To be considered an "author," one must publish. I have. Not only have I published, I've been published. Ah, semantics again. Heh.

When I say, "I've been published," I mean someone else has taken my work, honed it, and chosen to publish it. When I say, "I have published," I mean I have taken my own work, honed it, and self-published. I am an author.

But more than that, I am a writer. I've spent the past few weeks writing like a mad woman because I know this window of opportunity will soon close for me. You see, I love to write. I do it for the love of the craft. And I write many things in may ways, both fiction and nonfiction. I take advantage of these open windows to write more than just publish.

You see, the editing is what pays. For me. So I write with all the pleasure that a hobby brings. And my writing is never a chore. Even when I'm wide awake at 2 a.m. on Sunday morning knowing that I need to post a blog entry within an hour or miss my own deadline.

So what have I been writing you ask? In the past month I have written no fewer than six guest blogs (including one that was actually just a Q and A interview). I've written my own blog weekly for my faithful followers, but that's a given.

And here's the curve ball:  I've been pattern writing again.

I hadn't designed and written new patterns since last October. However, I've completed a pattern for a coaster, and mostly written a pattern for a pinwheel-style handbag. I've also roughed out the patterns for two other bags and yes, the coveted Big Girl Beanie (finally).

Don't get me wrong, I've also been writing fiction. Writing with the intent of publishing. I currently have two groups of stories waiting to be honed, and built upon, and finessed. They will need to wait a little while. They'll sit and rest until another window opens and I find time in my schedule between edits to finish them. They are patient. They will wait. And I will find them again. I will embrace them again. Perhaps I will even finish them. Next time.

Oh, by the way, the Big Girl Beanie will be the free pattern for Christmas in July. So long as I can perfect it by then. Wish me luck! Until then you get a teaser. The photos for this post are the prototypes of the Big Girl Coasters and the Big Girl Pinwheel Bag (in progress).

Namaste.


No comments:

Post a Comment