"No matter how terrified you may be, own your fear and take that leap anyway because whether you land on your feet or on your butt, the journey is well worth it."
-- Laurie Laliberte
"If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough."
-- Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."
-- Anais Nin

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Free Crochet Pattern and a Sneak Peek at the New Crochet Book

Hey y'all! I decided I needed a short (heh) vacation, but I'm back. More important, I'm back with post number 200 here on the blog.

In honor of this milestone, I've brought you a gift: a free pattern you're going to love. As promised, I'm continuing to drop patterns from my new, almost finished, crochet book. This one just may be my favorite of the bunch simply because I'm addicted to round hobo bags.

This week, you get just the basics, the body of the bag, but the recommended amount of yarn is for the whole thing. The shoulder strap pattern/tutorial is something I will share with you within the next couple of weeks.

As usual, I worked the sample in Lily Sugar 'n Cream yarn, but it will work with any worsted weight yarn. The colors here are Hot Pink and Hot Orange. Grab your hook and get to work!

The Blog Collection Hobo Bag

Finished Size:

body – 9" diameter x 11" high
strap – 32" long x 2 ½" wide

Supplies Needed:

3 balls of yarn for body
2 balls of yarn for contrast
size H-8 (5mm) crochet hook
stitch markers or pieces of scrap yarn
yarn needle or smaller crochet hook for weaving in ends

Instructions:

Round 1: using magic ring method, 12 sc in ring, pull ring tight to close gap (12 sc)

Round 2: 2sc in each st around (24 sc)

Round 3: sc in each st around (24 sc)

Round 4: [2sc in next st, sc in next st] around (36 sc)

Round 5: sc in each st around (36 sc)

Round 6: [2sc in next st, sc in next 2 sts] around (48 sc)

Round 7: sc in each st around (48 sc)

Round 8: [2sc in next st, sc in next 3 sts] around (60 sc)

Round 9: sc in each st around (60 sc)

Round 10: [2sc in next st, sc in next 4 sts] around (72 sc)

Round 11: sc in each sc around (72 sc)

Round 12: [2sc in next st, sc in next 5 sts] around (84 sc)

Round 13: sc in each st around (84 sc)

Round 14: [2sc in next st, sc in next 5 sts] around (96 sc)

Round 15: sc in each st around (96 sc)

Round 16: [2sc in next st, sc in next 5 sts] around (108 sc)

Round 17: sc in each st around (108 sc)

Round 18: in BLO sc around (108 sc)

Round 19: sc in each st around (108 sc)

Rounds 20-27: repeat Round 19

change colors*

Round 28: sc in each st around (108 sc)

Round 29: repeat Round 28

Round 30: in BLO sc around (108 sc)

Round 31: repeat Round 30

Round 32: in BLO [sc in next st, dc in next st] around (108 sts)

Round 33: in BLO [dc in next st, sc in next st] around (108 sts)

Round 34: repeat Round 32

Round 35: repeat Round 33

Round 36: repeat Round 32

Round 37: in BLO sc around (108 sc)

Round 38-39: repeat Round 37

Round 40: sc in each st around (108 sc)

change colors*

Rounds 41-55: sc in each st around (108 sc)

do not finish off*

Before you move on to the shoulder strap, make sure this length works for you. If you do follow my instructions for the strap, you'll be adding another five rows (about 1 1/4") to the top of the bag, so keep that in mind as well.

Happy Crocheting!

2 comments:

  1. I am new to crocheting,I have been teaching myself by reading and copying patterns- at the age of 75, I have alopecia, with most of my hair gone so I have been making hats. I now am exploring new patterns.
    I have a question about the increases in Rounds 14 and 16- shouldn't they be sc6 and sc7, because # of stitches at end of each row? Could you please let me know by email? thank you, judi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was remiss in saying I really love this pattern, the style and your color choice. judi

    ReplyDelete