"No matter how terrified you may be, own your fear and take that leap anyway because whether you land on your feet or on your butt, the journey is well worth it."
-- Laurie Laliberte
"If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough."
-- Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."
-- Anais Nin

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Writers Write by Bernard Schaffer


Writers write.
Chambered Rounds
is now available on Amazon
Writers read.
Writers find inspiration in the work of others and
remain vigilant not to ape anyone else.
Writers seek out criticism from those that
deserve to give it
and they listen.
(Most of the time.)
Writers work alone
without seeking approval from others
and finish with something
before showing it to anyone
because a writer is like a lonesome captain
on a sailboat steering through uncharted waters
expecting to arrive at a lost city of ancient riches.
But nobody wants to hear what you intend to find
expect to find
or say you'll find.
They just want to see it.
When I write, I think about those that came before me
who sat in a chair plinking away at the keys
or loading paper into the typewriter
or putting quill to fresh ink
and I go at every single one of them
like their ghosts were sitting across from me
saying, "Come on, kid, you can hit harder than that."
Not because I don't love them
and not because I don't admire them
and not because I don't appreciate them
but because when I am writing they are my competition
and if you aren't trying to outdo everyone else
then you're just taking up space. 
People often ask me for advice
and I suppose that's the purpose of this column
that I was so graciously asked to contribute to. 
Well, here it is.
Write hard. 
Read hard.
Find an editor who will critique you hard.
And when you find some level of success, repeat those same steps
but on an even greater scale. 
Now go get to it. 

From Chambered Rounds

BERNARD SCHAFFER

Amazon Author’s Page for a full list of publications
Facebook Fan Page for free book info and more
Official  blog for updates

No comments:

Post a Comment