"No matter how terrified you may be, own your fear and take that leap anyway because whether you land on your feet or on your butt, the journey is well worth it."
-- Laurie Laliberte
"If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough."
-- Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."
-- Anais Nin

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Don Quixote Eat Your Heart Out (free pattern)

I began working on this pattern about a year ago. This is why I haven't posted any free patterns on the blog in so long. Finding the time to crochet has been tough enough, but finding the time to design and work a prototype has been darn near impossible.

However, a few weeks ago, I stumbled across the pattern and supplies again while cleaning and decided I was so close to done that I should go ahead and finish the job. It has been my go-to project whenever I feel the need to procrastinate.

I planned, initially, to do two bags: the Windmill (aka pinwheel), and a basic hobo style. Because I love a hobo bag, but I enjoy having several sizes at my disposal, I later came to the conclusion that two hobo bags -- one round, one oval -- might be a better idea.

But the ideas kept expanding and changing as I got further and further into the project. Now, it's quite likely you will see a collection of four bags and a wristlet. I'm testing each of the patterns here on the blog where you will eventually find them all at no charge, released as each pattern and prototype is finished.

I also plan to group the whole collection and make it available as an e-book for Kindle. If all goes well, you'll eventually see it in print and on other e-reader platforms as well.

I also intend to keep the promise I made to my blog readers the first time I posted a free pattern here: Although you may find these patterns for sale elsewhere, any pattern bearing my signature (Big Girl/Blog Collection) motif will be available here on the blog at no charge.

The Blog Collection
Windmill Bag

Supplies:

about 400 yds (4 balls, 8-10 oz) worsted weight yarn
size H-8 (5mm) crochet hook
stitch markers or pieces of scrap yarn in two colors
yarn needle or smaller crochet hook for weaving in ends

Note: If you plan to sew the pieces together rather than crochet them, you will need a yarn needle regardless of how you plan to work your ends. Do not weave in ends as you go since you may wish to use long ends to connect your pieces. The assembly tutorial does not make use of the long ends. Instead, it illustrates my preferred method of assembly which is not recommended for beginners.

Make 4:

chain 58

Note: All rows count 57 stitches.

Row 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across, turn
Row 2: ch1, sc in each st across, turn
Row 3: repeat Row 2
Row 4: repeat Row 2
Row 5: ch1, sc in BLO of each st across, turn
Row 6: ch1, sc in FLO of each st across, turn
Row 7: ch1, sc in BLO of 1st st, [dc in BLO of next st, sc in BLO of next st] across, turn
Row 8: ch1, dc in FLO of 1st st, [sc in FLO of next st, dc in FLO of next st] across, turn
Row 9: repeat Row 7
Row 10: repeat Row 8
Row 11: repeat Row 7
Row 12: ch1, sc in FLO of each st across, turn
Row 13: ch1, sc in BLO of each st across, turn
Row 14: ch1, sc in FLO of each st across, turn
Row 15: ch1, sc in each st across, turn
Row 16: repeat Row 15
Row 17: repeat Row 15

finish off, leave long end unless you plan to use the assembly tutorial

one completed panel

The tutorials for my methods of assembling the pieces and crocheting straps will follow in upcoming posts over the next few weeks. My method is kind of advanced, not meant for beginners. I came up with it to minimize working with multiple pieces. (I can't stand having to sew/crochet pieces together.) You will likely find simpler methods on youtube.

As always, please don't re-post or share the pattern. You are welcome to link to my blog and I would encourage you to make more than a few to sell at craft fairs or in your Etsy shop. All I ask is credit for the pattern and design.

Happy Mother's Day!

2 comments:

  1. How did I miss this? Man. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee... probably all that wine you've been tasting. You know, for your blog. What you won't do for your readers. ;o)

      Delete