"No matter how terrified you may be, own your fear and take that leap anyway because whether you land on your feet or on your butt, the journey is well worth it."
-- Laurie Laliberte
"If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough."
-- Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."
-- Anais Nin

Sunday, August 23, 2015

So I Needed a Hand Towel for the Bathroom...

Seriously! That's how this design came to be. I needed one more pattern to round out the "Table and Tub" group from my Blog Collection and I toyed with several ideas: table runners, napkin rings, oven mitts . . . But nothing clicked for me. Then, one day, I found myself using a store-bought kitchen towel as a placemat. I was eating lunch at my desk and didn't want to get food on my laptop, so I draped the towel over it. After the lightbulb turned on over my head, I set to work and threw together a few notes and a quick sketch.

It's taken me about two years to get around to actually working and writing the pattern, but here it is. I finally knuckled down to make this because I realized we only had two hand towels for our bathroom. Of course, I love a pattern with some versatility, so I've included instructions for adding that cute little hanging loop you see on the corner. That's where the hand towel thing figures in. This little guy is just the right size to use for a placemat or as a hand towel. Besides, I like the way it looks in the bathroom hanging from that little loop.

Have fun with this one!

The Blog Collection
Placemat Pattern
by Laurie Laliberte Designs

A simple pattern to protect or accent your table top. Make a full set for yourself or to give as a hostess gift.

Finished Measurements:

approximately 12" x 16"

Supplies Needed:

size I-9 (5.5mm) crochet hook

about 2 oz. worsted weight yarn in Color A
about 1 oz. worsted weight yarn in Color B
smaller hook or yarn needle for weaving in ends

Samples were stitched using 100% cotton Sugar 'n Cream and/or Peaches & Creme worsted weight yarn.

All instructions use American Terminology.

Special Instructions:

BLO -- back loop only
FLO -- front loop only

Instructions:

Notes:  Each row is 39 sts across.

If you are working in two colors, change colors at the beginning of the Rows with the *.

ch 40

Row 1:  sc in 2nd ch from hook, [ch1, sk next ch, sc in next ch] across, turn

Row 2:  ch1 (does not count as 1st st here or in following rows), sc in 1st sc, sc in next ch1 sp, [ch1, sk next sc, sc in next ch1 sp]

Row 3:  ch1, sc in 1st sc, [ch1, sk next sc, sc in next ch1 sp] across, ending w/sc in last sc, turn

Rows 4-10:  repeat Rows 2-3 ending w/a Row 2

*Row 11:  ch1, sc in each sc and ch1 sp across, turn

Row 12:  ch1, sc in BLO of each st across, turn

Row 13:  ch1, sc in FLO of each st across, turn

Row 14:  ch1, sc in BLO of 1st st [dc in BLO of next st, sc in BLO of next st] across, turn

Row 15:  ch1, sc in FLO of 1st st [sc in FLO of next st, dc in FLO of next st] across ending w/sc in each of last 2 sts, turn

Row 16:  rep Row 14

Row 17:  rep Row 15

Row 18:  rep Row 14

Row 19:  ch1, sc in FLO of each st across, turn

Row 20:  ch1, sc in BLO of each st across, turn

Row 21:  rep Row 19

*Row 22:  ch1, sc in 1st st, [ch1, sk next st, sc in next st] across, turn

Row 23:  ch1, sc in 1st sc, [sc in next ch1 sp, ch1, sk next sc] across ending w/sc in each of last 2 sts, turn

Row 24:  ch1, sc in 1st sc, [ch1, sk next sc, sc in next ch1 sp] across ending w/sc in last sc, turn

Rows 25-57:  rep Rows 23-24 ending w/a Row 23


Finishing Round:

sc evenly around working 3sc in each corner
  
Optional Hanging Loop:

ch 10, sl st in 1st sc of Finishing Round, sl st in each ch back to beg, sl st to close loop at base

finish off, weave in ends
  
Designer's Note:

Any pattern I design is my intellectual property. Please do not duplicate any of my patterns for any reason especially to sell. Instead, please link to my blog or to the pattern page in one of my shops when referencing one of my patterns.

You are more than welcome to offer finished items made from my patterns for sale. In fact, I encourage it. However, I'd really appreciate it if you gave me credit for the design. Please reference my blog or the pattern page.





















Happy Crocheting!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't been aware of this series! It sounds entrancing, and the book accounts give off an impression of being short. I could have to give this one a shot! I'm blissful you said it gets better as the story propels... that is for each situation extraordinary to know early, so you stay with it Taylor Lautner Net Worth.

    ReplyDelete