"No matter how terrified you may be, own your fear and take that leap anyway because whether you land on your feet or on your butt, the journey is well worth it."
-- Laurie Laliberte
"If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough."
-- Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."
-- Anais Nin

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Tony Healey

I'm a firm believer that every girl needs a brother, even if he isn't related by blood. Thanks to the Kindle All-Stars, I have about ten. Tony is the one who teases me the most. And I'm okay with that. As I write this, Tony and I have recently finished one project; we're working on a second; and a third is already on the horizon. I may complain a bit about "my writers," but the truth is I wouldn't change any of them.

I'm sharing this with you so maybe you'll better understand why this particular poem, and the email to which it was attached, hit me hard.


Laurie, 
Find pasted into the body of this email my second poem. I wrote this for my brother Danny, who passed away nearly 25 years ago now.

WISH YOU WERE HERE

The Honeycroft Series is available on Amazon
Decades drifting downstream,
But no more than a day,
Since you were taken away
Old scars pull at the seams

Every time you rise within my thoughts,
My heart aches,
I wish you were here with me, with us, around
To see how we’d have loved you
But the tide took you; caught

I need you, I want to see you,
Just one last time, hold you,
Against my breast to hear
My heart-song,
I want you near

A higher power,
Says its right to take you from us,
Brother, and the Brother next door,
But regardless I’m still wishing

I have lived a lifetime of conversations unspoken,
Empty, hollow sadness rolling down cheeks,
A pain in the walls of my heart,
Anniversaries of yesterday and what was
And what might have been

If only I could forget about you,
Let the river take you,
Carry you far away to the valley before the dawn,
To eternal night

And are you there,
Somewhere,
Beneath the great wheel,
The big dipper, the belt of Orion?
Looking where I’m looking?
Feeling what I’m feeling, perhaps,
And knowing how I wish you were here?
Haunted ‘till the very end,
When we will meet again.


Tony Healey is the author of The Honeycroft Series, The Stars My Redemption, and others including a collection called Double. By the way, he also designs all his own covers and he's done a few for other KAS authors as well. (As we speak, he's tweaking a design I came up with for one of mine.)


Visit Tony's website:  www.fringescientist.com

No comments:

Post a Comment