"No matter how terrified you may be, own your fear and take that leap anyway because whether you land on your feet or on your butt, the journey is well worth it."
-- Laurie Laliberte
"If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough."
-- Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."
-- Anais Nin

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Oh Gosh, I Hate Peas

How many times have I uttered those words? I dislike peas so strongly that I will go to to great lengths to avoid having them even sit near my plate. To this day, the face I make when it's even suggested I may ingest a pea, is the same one any child makes when they encounter a food they don't like. It's there before I can stop it, like a nervous tic.

BUT, I will try anything once.

That's how I discovered that maybe these southern folk are on to something with this whole pea salad thing. Anyhow, I thought you would all like my take on this dish I didn't even know existed until about a month or two ago.

You see, my landlady invited me to join her and her family for a birthday party. As usual, I offered my assistance as soon as I arrived. She asked me to peel and chop the hard boiled eggs for the pea salad. I thought I heard her wrong, but I did as I was told. I peeled and chopped the eggs, then went back to her and asked what she wanted me to do with them.

She said, "just dump them in and stir it up, Darlin'. Everythin' else is already in there."

"Dump them in where?"

"That bowl right there next to you."

To my left, sat a medium-sized mixing bowl with this concoction of peas, onion, and mayonnaise that was simply waiting for me to dump in the eggs. So I dropped them in, gave it all a stir, and grabbed a spoon so I could have a taste. (I did tell you I'll try anything once, right?)

I fell so in love with this one that I demanded the recipe, then I proceeded to play with it in my own kitchen until I had a version I could call my own.

And to all you whole/raw food freaks out there: yes, I began with canned peas because Miss Debbie and her entire family use canned peas.

I like the Green Giant sweet peas for this one because they're sweet, firm, and fresh.
Use the best here, because most of your flavor is from the peas you choose.

*********
Almost Miss Debbie's Pea Salad

2 (15 oz.) cans of peas, drained and rinsed
1/2 red onion
2-3 strips of bacon, cooked until crispy then crumbled
3 hard cooked large eggs, peeled and chopped
2 T apple cider vinegar
1/2 c or so* plain Greek yogurt
1/8 t dill
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients in a bowl, cover, and chill
Serve cold

*This is that ingredient you eyeball, just like for any other salad of this type (macaroni, potato, tuna, egg, chicken, etc.).
**********
I still hate peas, just not as much as I used to.

Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment